• 644 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....I knew I was blessed then.
    Good shit Brent.
    Jerry just keeping the train chuggin'"
    BTW, we took the Verde Canyon Train Trip in AZ during our stay there.
    They piped in train songs the whole time. Big RxR Blues leaving and returning from the station.
    Freight Train from Not For Kids Only also.....I pointed it out to my wife.
    She just shook her head and smiled.

• Vguy72

....🥰

• Vguy72

....just got back from five glorious days in Sedona with my wife celebrating our 25th anniversary.
    Need. More. Vacations. And a hot tub.
    And more Taylor Swift if you know what I mean. Childless Cat Lady ftw.

• dmcvt

Thanks DaveRock, was about to note Carter and Williams essential contributions to the Second Quintet. Williams was 17 years old when he joined Miles group. What an incredible crucible those five created. Heading off to northern Vermont tonight, concert with Tom Gershwin Quintet. Heard of this performance from a chance conversation with Grant Gordy after his gig with Mr. Sun Tuesday in Massachusetts. Never seen Grant on electric guitar.

• daverock

What makes that band interesting to me is the rhythm section - Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. My favourite records by them are ESP and Milestones. A great live one is the First Bootleg - 4cds from 1967. I prefer this to the Plugged Nickel set, which seems a bit cautious by comparison.

• Dennis

Well the song will probably not be rattlin' around, but Nancy in them!

Hope I didn't type here, but listening to Dylan Theme radio, girls names. For Nancy, a song sinatra sung.

Nancy with the laughing face. Written about Nancy when she was born. Written by.... Phil Silvers!

• That Mike

Dennis - I’ll bet you will have that damn Nancy Sinatra song roiling around your head the rest of the day now! 🎶🎶 Damn boots!!!
    You’re welcome! ;)
    Crow - I agree on the Second Quintet vs the Trane Quintet - the Second was far more dynamic, a much more interesting band. All of them went on to have pretty amazing careers on their own, as well.

• Crow Told Me

Amazing what they're finding in those old archives these days.

A recent review of Nixon's office tapes (you know, the ones that caught him planning Watergate and discussing the illegal bombing Cambodia and whatnot) turned up a reference to pot. Which Tricky Dicky said was "not particularly dangerous." He even seems to consider legalization, but concludes that "it would be the wrong message at this time."

Well, blow me down. Sure wish he would've said so back then, instead of, you know, launching the War on Drugs and sending so many kind and decent people to prison.

And almost equally mind boggling it is to learn of the existence of this new Miles set. Which should be amazing.

That 'Second Great Quintet' with Herbie and Wayne is in some ways the most interesting of all his bands. The "other" quintet with Coltrane is maybe a better place to start, if anybody reading this is new to jazz and just starting to check out Miles. The Miles/Trane group more or less defined mainstream straight ahead jazz and if you're at all open to jazz you're going to love the Cookin/Workin/Steamin/Relaxin records they did.

But the 'second' quintet? Damn. If the Miles/Trane group built the house, the Wayne/Herbie band blew the fucking roof off. This new set of recordings from what I think must've been their first tour together should be amazing. Probably a little more "inside" than the far out stuff you hear on the Plugged Nickel live set, which might be a good thing. It's a must have, for me anyway.

So, thanks for the heads up on that one! Can't wait.

Meanwhile, UPS says that my copy of Jack White's new lp is out for delivery. Can't wait to slap that thing on and crank it up.

• Dennis

It made me smile.

These Boots Were Made For Listening. (as per python,,,, witty, witty)

• Dennis

There's a performance with about a dozen guys paying a tribute to George Harrison. They're playing while my guitar gently weeps. Everyone passes around the lead, gets to prince and he takes off. Several times it looked like petty was ready to drop out jamming and get back to song, but prince kept on. Tom was looking a little peeved.

Maybe it was just me. But prince really stole that track!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Happy Birthday Guys! Enjoy it and hope you can play some Dead today.

Now where is that Box Announcement?

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It’s here in record time! Just as well as I’m having a full knee replacement on Friday and was worried I’d miss the delivery. Anyway, this’ll smooth the waiting.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Happy Happy to 1st Show & TN John, and welcome to the 67 Club, 1st Show.
I had to settle for the “economy” Neil Young box, because it comes as the same time as Dylan’s box, so it’s about the economy, stupid. In fact, I’ve been buying Dave’s al a carte for a while, and #51 got a pass from me, too. I’m glad people are obviously enjoying it, but it just didn’t thrill me to get more 1971, when so many eras of the Dead seem untapped or overlooked. Only so much discretionary spending to go around.
Hopefully Dave has some Box news soon. One of my kids lives in Dave’s area, and he and his wife and friends do a lot of camping out in the BC Wilds, so I told him if he ever sees a strange man in Dead gear speaking into a camera sea-side, or by a moving river, to tell him to put down the fishing rod, and get back to work.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Hope it all goes well. I had the full knee 12 years ago and it was worth it. Those first few weeks are tough but by 3-6 months you'll feel like you again, but even better. Best of luck.
Thanks to all for the birthday greetings! Definitely will be playing Dead today. And 51 will be here later this afternoon as well.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Danehead

I was the one that posted about seeing Elvis in 1975. Actually 2 shows out of the 5 he played. I made the comment that "fat Elvis was good Elvis." I have since had a change of heart. Why? Because I read a local newspaper article about Elvis' 5 show 1976 run, where the reporter reported he was overweight, sloppy, and at times a bit incoherent. That made me realize that he did not become fat Elvis until the period between the May 1975 and May 1976. Best I can understand is that there must have been a major increase in all types of substances prescribed by the good doctor. I guess closer to Dr. Propofol with the King of Pop. In 1975, he was much closer to Vegas Elvis. He was still relatively thin and he still commanded the stage and was very active. Kissing a whole bunch of ladies. If he had been close enough I would allowed him to kiss my forehead. Just kidding, maybe the big ring on my right hand ala the pope. Again, just kidding. Both shows were upper deck. It was an incredible couple of concerts to see. In 1977, he sold out another 5 shows but passed away. I heard that people that did not return their tickets made a killing off of them decades later.

I have since then found a recording from this 1975 run of shows on cd. He, of course, did primarily have the same set lists. He also mixed things up a bit. Moving a few songs in and out of each show. I also found a killer picture and a ticket to one of the 1975 shows. Not sure they match up with the shows I say. That is the great thing about some mothers (and fathers), they never value anything of their children. My mom threw away the Elvis tickets a couple of years afterward. Needless to say...well I won't continue down that thought. I was fortunate to find the ticket and picture when an estate in Nashville Tn was being sold off. I think you can probably find the recording on Ebay.

Got a lot of past posts to read. Have had crappy internet the last few days. Trying to find out about the gremlins.

See there are a lot of Elvis comments to read, more later.

Really enjoyed 51. Also saw many shows I consider better GD. I listed to the Attics 7 or 8 times. It is just so good. Attics was the last song I heard them play. First song (First Set Opener) was Playing in the band. So nice sandwich Playing/Attics. Not bad at all, and no real fat Jerry.

Edit: I also heard that a bunch of people made good money off of their 1977 Skynyrd tickets which sold out before plane crash. That would have been my only true Skynyrd concert.

Edit 2: Thanks Danehead, I ordered the box!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

My introduction to Elvis was back in the mid 70s as a kid. There was a frequent TV commercial for Elvis' greatest hits for mail order.

They would play snippets of various tunes as a crawl displayed the tracklisting.

This was before he passed

Maybe I can find it on u toob

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

And especially to the biff day boys!

Good luck to Mr Frank!

Greetings to the north!
Bet DL and company are working extra this year as you would suppose that they’d be doing something special for the big six o next year. Since they always work on things well in advance, you would think “whatever” would be in process?
Be nice if they did another Boxilla, OR!!! A mega box, featuring several mini boxes of different key tours that you could purchase complete at a substantial discount, or just pick the ones of personal interest Ala carte at a premium…?
So between “that”, this years box getting finished up, the next Dave’s, and he’s prolly already onto the next couple, so well, yeah, Dammint Dave, quit smoking whatever that weird alien shit the squatch keeps lighting and get back to work!!
Got to get down, to the miiiiinnnnneeeee!

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Thanks 1st Show!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Hi Gary - thank you for the story of seeing Elvis - was that shows in Florida on the spring tour ? The cd - is that; "from Georgia to Florida" ? Yes - the downhill slide started in mid 75.. 2 sad years left, but his final recordings at Graceland are very moving.. BW from Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Danehead

Funny that 51 arrived at my Maryland friends last Saturday while tracking still can't determine exactly where the one headed to me might be, perhaps somewhere in Connecticut on its way to Vermont, eventually. Dead.net gets bonus point for getting Dave's to Europe so fast, but hey now, deliveries in the US of A a week or more apart?

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Yes, I don't have mine either. Maybe tomorrow. But, yes, good to see they stepped up their game on overseas deliveries.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Heyl m8, check your pm's

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Love Big RxR on track 51.

So sweet!

GARCIA!

...don't tell me no lies...

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

7338 arrived just in time for Vegas!!! I noticed several pictures showing Jerry playing Peanut. Besides some tunes on Skull & Roses and Ladies & Gentlemen, The Grateful Dead, is this our first release featuring Peanut predominately?

Enquiring heads want to know...

Just finished ripping and rearranging Kiel to their proper order...

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

"Out for delivery . . . ." says UPS/USPS mail services. Looking forward to hear it this afternoon! Sounds like a Casey Jones triptych comparison/contrast will be in order.

Found the Elvis greatest hits commercial on u toob

Wow. I love u toob.

Hardheaded woman softhearted man

Indeed

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by boblopes

That was a lot to absorb. Will have to make multiple posts.

1st of All Happy Birthday to 1St and Tn_John. The beginning of another trip around the sun tomorrow.

Frank hope the knee surgery goes great! Love what 1st said. I need some elective surgeries, what 1st said calmed my jitters. I understand it depends on the doctor. Had a close friend recently have minor back surgery which the doc blew. Then had major back surgery, same doc, 4 months ago. He is still in physical therapy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by frankparry

in the house - Disc 1 spinning now. Love the Peanut!

Has arrived! Ripped and rolling. Phil sounds amazing on this one!

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys! Much appreciated.

Good luck with the knee replacement Frank.

Peace

....it's a good day.
Happy Anniversary to the '88 Laguna Seca shows. Out of all the shows I went to, those were top three regarding general fun factor.
Jim! Dust off that John Deere!

user picture

Member for

16 years

It came on Monday. Great show and has great packaging, because I love the poster and newspaper clipping. At 68 years old, I remember hearing about this show and reading this review. In 1971, I used to deliver the Morning Call Newspaper and read the small write-up. I used to frequent the Whitehall Mall Record Shop, too, but mainly from 1979 through '85.
My first Grateful Dead show and first rock concert was just over 2 years away, 6/10/73 RFK in DC.
I first got segments of this show during the old "tape" trading days on CD-R in the early 2000s and I loved it as a mono soundboard. I wanted to listen to it earlier this year, 2024, but I must have misplaced it and given up trying to find it. In mid-June, I decided to stream from the Internet Archive and I picked "unknown32015", I was in heaven with it. I was going to revisit other copies of the show on the IA a little later, but Dave's Picks Volume 51 was announced...

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

55 years ago today the 45 rpm version of Dupree's Diamond Blues / Cosmic Charlie was released in the U.S. I bought a copy up in Village Music in Mill Valley years ago.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

88 and still going strong. I saw him play at the S.F. Blues Festival, he put on a knockout of a show. He influenced Clapton , Hendrix, Richards and on and on.

user picture

Member for

1 year 2 months

My 51 is seated in limbo a few hours away since Saturday afternoon. Brown doesn’t have it anymore and Blue says they didn’t get it yet. Don’t ever bother with customer service chat bots for either outfit.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by VirgoHead

My first show was 6/16/74 (50 years ago?) and it was an awakening.

We entered the Des Moines Fairground horse racetrack area with the Wall of Sound sitting in the middle of the track area. It is hard to describe how striking that 'Wall of sound" was sitting in front of us. It was simply immense.
The Dead ambled out to tune up. There is Keith on his grand piano, Billy at his drums in the middle under this cylindrical-suspended-speaker-section, Phil in his shades, and Bobby with a flannel shirt (to ward of the cool breeze blowing in). But who is that in a red 'Mars Academy ' sweatshirt? It looks like a chubby Dustin Hoffman? No it's JERRY, he shaved off his beard! He still had massive sideburns ala the sixties.

The Dead tuned up and began playing and off we go-"Bertha" yes!!!!!!!!! and the crystalline sound of that system. unbelievable, and Phil's bass took your breath away. And the Grateful Dead took me on a journey, of Americana, country, space, rock, jam, fable, fun, roller coaster, turn on a dime.

My first Scarlet Begonias (which I thought it was going to be China Cat when I heard those first simmering leads), but I was then gifted with my first China Cat> I know you Rider later. Scarlet was a 'stand alone' back in those days, but was so perfect to hear that song that I would delight in hearing for decades to come. Mexicali, Row Jimmy, Around and Around and others were in that first set. Then the first break.

Second set included a ethereal Eyes of the World that magically segued into Big River. That segue required a psychedelic whiplash collar to keep my head from spinning off the planet. Other new and old tunes. This is stupefying, I was thunderstruck with Phil's bass bombs and then a staggering Playin' in the Band to end the second set. My mouth was hanging agape, I look to my buddies, and they stared wide-eyed back at me. The Dead will be back for more? Another set? How much more can they show us?
This was the old days and this was to be a 3 set show. I thought that I was saturated, no more wonder will fill this cranium. My buddy who had been at last year's show smiles knowingly at me and leans back with that Neal Cassady guffaw and we all break up giggling. Then yes, the Dead come out to astound us with more tales, mysteries, and celebrations,.... Set 3 Truckin' >Wharf Rat> Nobody's Fault Jam> Going Down The Road Feeling Bad and the encore was Casey Jones. Beyond belief...........

Yes, I am constitutionally incapable of making a long story short.

"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself"

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Hey y’all. I’ve been away for quite a while. It’s been a very tough trip around the sun. I first got fed up with the hey now BS. Shortly after that found out that my wife had colorectal cancer.
6 weeks of radiation & 2 weeks of chemo. Became a full time caregiver and stopped working for 8 weeks. Somewhere in there I got #50 with bonus disc. And just now spinning set 2 of the Scranton show. It’s difficult to describe what it’s been like (for both of us). Some of you folks have been through this and you know.
I WILL say music has been a lifesaver, but it’s been extremely difficult to fully enjoy these last 4 1/2 months. The wife finally was able to get out of the house last Wednesday. A corner has been turned. I was so heartened by the couple of folks who mentioned me. Been back to work for 2 weeks now and life is a struggle. Maybe now I can really LISTEN to #50. I have not read any reviews of 50. I guess I should go back and read them. I’ll post when I can, but I appreciate the brotherhood (and sisterhood) around here. Don’t really care what #52 will be, I just hope to be somewhat back to normal and semi-rested by then. I guess you really CAN’T keep a good man down. Peace & love to all.

....a new Hard To Handle I've never heard. The thing is, in my personal experience, it is the most flubbed song they ever performed. Finding one just exactly perfect is like catching a unicorn.
Pigpen was this close to nailing it here though. Cred where cred is due. 🍻 🦄

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I still haven't received my copy of #51 yet. This is the first time a Dave's Picks has shipped using DHL and it was going so well. My package was flown direct from LA to Frankfurt where it was put on another plane to Amsterdam where it arrived last Sunday. That was the quickest an order has ever reached the Netherlands. Better still, for some reason it was given directly to the Dutch postal service, avoiding both the customs and the dreaded payment of VAT and administration costs. It was all going so well. On Monday I received a message from the Post Office saying it would be delivered on Tuesday. Great! I would get it before August 1! On Tuesday morning I got another message from the PO saying "Sorry, delivery time has been updated. We are unable to deliver your package today." They also said it would now be delivered on Wednesday. Fine, that means I would still get it on July 31. Once in a while one gets such messages when its really busy at the sorting office. Today, July 31, I get the same message once again and was informed that it would now be delivered tomorrow, on August 1. It is summer holiday time so it isn't busy regarding the post. I guess all the postal workers must be on holiday or on strike. It is really frustrating to know that my Dave's Picks is sitting idly in a sorting office about 10km from my house. Hopefully it will actually be delivered tomorrow.

On the bright side, major thanks to the Dead net Store for sending it by DHL instead of the usual slow UPS/USPS Mail Innovations. I hope they use DHL every time in the future.

Edit: Back to elation...
Despite this morning's message that it would be delivered tomorrow, less than two hours later, #4790 dropped through my front door. It appears that Deutsche Post stuck a new address label on top of the original US one, thereby confusing the Dutch customs into thinking it originated within the EU. Additionally, the package seems to have been immersed in water at some stage as it is very damp, almost falling apart. This has resulted in no damage whatsoever to the contents - thank you for the shrink-wrap! Also the outer package seems to have suffered quite a lot of abrasion, making the address details almost totally unreadable. Almost, but not quite, as someone at the Post Office had taken the trouble to work it out and had hand-written the street name, house number, postcode and city in ball-point on the package. Thank you PostNL, all is forgiven.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Imwan is listing this show as a 3CD release from Rhino for September with links to pre-orders on Amazon for the UK and Canada (it looks like the US link has been removed).

Possibly part of the forthcoming box set?

I second that emotion. Great to see you back, Mr Ones, and best wishes to you and your wife.

Oroboros - nice review of 6/16/74 - that would have sat nicely as sleeve notes for the Road Trips release of this show. Along with 6/18/74, one of the best of the series. One of the best of any series, come to that.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Also on Amazon Germany.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Duke ‘78 as a box? Ugly Rumors or True Story? Be nice to get a Box announcement here, to join all the other artists. Break out that Platinum card, Dennis.

Mr Ones - Nice to see you back, sorry about the troubles you and your Mrs are experiencing. If it is any consolation, I’m living proof this awful disease can be beaten. You got this! Best wishes to you.

A shout out to Col-ORO-ado! Hope you are well, Amigo! I bet you don’t miss this awful “New Orleans North” humidity we are getting here in the Great Lakes region - like living in a sauna.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

With links up at some Amazon sites for the Duke show an April 1978 box is a very good bet, but not a sure thing. They played in North Carolina a lot over the years so the theme might just be geographic. We'll only know for sure when we get the official announcement.

about Mrs. One's health challenge. But know that Mrs. Oroboros is now 7 years cancer free and your wife can get there as well. Healing vibes heading to her (and you, too). Riding sidecar on the cancer trail is terrifying, exhausting, and ultimately can knit you together like never before.

Take care,

Tim

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Phil Lesh

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by onthebussince77

Onthebussince77, that occurred to me also. I guess a question is, if it's an April 78 box, would April 12th be the obvious single show release? A brief look at some of the North Carolina shows looks pretty tasty. You've got a good run going with 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 83 and 84, plus a couple of later 80s shows. Also an April 71 show (I checked the DP51 seaside chat, but no hints other than generally praising April 71). But then it's still a possibility that there's a completely different logic to it and it's something else, we wait and see.

My guess is that, if Rhino have released details of Duke '78 this week, we'll get to hear about the box this week.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The details:
Curtis Hixon Convention Hall, Tampa, FL 4/6/78
Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 4/7/78
Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, FL 4/8/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/10/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/11/78
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC 4/12/78
Cassell Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA 4/14/78
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroboros

Sending good vibes your way Mr. Ones.

DMCVT,
Where was
it announced?

What happened to the Shorelines 70/80 box rumor from Danehead?

The Amazon rumors are usually true as we have seen in the past

April 78, so thinking it would be April 6, 7, 8, 10, 11,12. If Duke is on the list.

Just refreshed my page and there it is. This is sweet. 8 shows from April 78! Yeehaw!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html