• 654 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • boblopes

My wife's cousins were at that show. They said Bass and Drums were spot on and Dave was good, but Perry was not good. Perry F'd up several songs and did not appreciate the band guiding him. Navarro had words with him during the show and it escalated over the last three songs.

• bluecrow

Dennis - maybe I'm not understanding - it was unrehearsed and a wild ride but don't think Petty had any issues with Prince and the outro solo.

• Dennis

don't know about these guys, but the vid I watched 30 seconds of, it looked like Ferral was spaced out? Big time drugs?

but a wow moment for sure,,,, I bet tom petty felt that way when prince went off on a riff in "while my guitar...."

• That Mike

Dennis - Smart move on ordering the Miles boot from Amazon, much quicker with free shipping. I did order a t-shirt once from the Miles site, and it was pretty quick delivery, but definitely not free shipping.
    A few sites offer bootlegs “on demand”, for lack of a better term. You order a bootleg from the choices they offer, they have it produced, and it is sent by a third party (Nugs dot net) - I have two shows on order for Pearl Jam now like this, and I know the Allman’s site has something similar, choose the show(s) you want of the ones offered, and they produce a disc for you. An interesting way to do it, and something Dead net should consider, although that may make Dave Lemieux redundant.
    Has Perry Ferrell got a problem with Dave Navarro, or what!? I’ve seen a lot of shows, but I never saw two musicians start fighting. Kinda sucks for the Boston audience that had a shortened show.

• Dennis

Ok, I ordered the Boot 8 cd's. Haven't bought the vinyl. 100 bucks for the cd's was enough for now, the 225 for the lp's would have stretched me open to the point of fearing the pool.

They didn't seem "limited", thought I could ask for vinyl at christmas.

I seem to have all the miles boot series, at least in mp3. A quick look and I seem to have several in physical media (cd & LP)

Because of someone else, I'm listening to Nick Cave and wondering if I should get his new album :-)

FYI - I bought miles on amazon,,, they always come on the release day and free shipping!

• billy the kiddd

Bill Graham brought lots of blues artists to the Fillmore West like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf , James Cotton and others . The great Mike Bloomfield told Graham that these were musicians he should be booking.

• That Mike

Jazz Fans - A new edition in Miles Davis’ Bootleg Series coming early November, “ MILES IN FRANCE 1963 & 64”, featuring his “Second” Great Quintet (ie - post Coltrane). Dennis, this one is for you, available in LP and CD. Oro, if you want to really “get” jazz, Miles Davis is perhaps the apex, so important from the late 40s into the 90s, an innovator along the lines of Dylan or the Dead. I’m partial to his electric period, where he got really out there, but any of his stuff is worth the listen.
    Bill Graham was an absolute genius IMHO for some of the bills he put together at his Fillmore (and more) venues, including putting Miles on to open for the Dead, leaving Phil Lesh gap-jawed, and feeling unworthy of following his act. Graham introduced so many interesting acts to the mainstream listener that might never have happened without his vision. I highly recommend the book “Bill Graham Presents” for more on this incredible guy, who did so much to bring us the Dead, among many others.

• JimInMD

I have been so busy and stretched that I haven't listened to 50 or 51 yet. So I mostly lurk here.

I'll be sure to comment when I get that first listen in.

Argh...

On the bright side, I am starting to be home more and are squaring things away plus, the second to last song I listened to was Jerry singing "On the Bright Side of the Road" So things are looking up.

• proudfoot

commentary just dwindles (dwindle...fun word)

I post more now on "what are you listening to"

Savior Faire is everywhere...now there is a phrase I have not heard in a long time

• 1stshow70878

Fleetwood Mac - Future Games LP
    DiP 15 - Englishtown 9-3-77
    Steppin' Out w/ the GD - Europe '72
    Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
    JGB - Garcia Live Vol. 4, 3-22-78 Veteran's Hall
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Does anybody remember a daytime show, in which Jerry, screwed up a part of China doll, and said to the audience "wait a minute, that's *ucked up."

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Well, for three of the last four years, the last DaP of the year was a later-era show - Vol. 36 was 1987 and then Vols. 40 and 44 were both from 1990. So it seems a reasonable supposition to think he might dip into '91 for Vol. 52.

On the other side of the coin, this year Dave already cracked open 1985 for the first time (Vol 49) - you have to go back to Vols 35 and 36 for the last time he broached two new years (new for the DaP series, that is) in one calendar/subscription year. Would he really end the year with a 1991 release? People have been speculating about 9/26 for some years now, but it never really sounds like informed speculation but just more of "I was there" and "this was the best night of the run" chatter. And ofc one of Dave's first releases when he took over the Dick's series was 9/25, so he surely considered the 26th back then but passed.

My own feeling is that while '91 is the last strong year for the band, the energy did wane as the year went along. I think the March shows, or perhaps Vegas in late April, have more to offer. The August Shoreline shows have some fire to them. But for any of these it's not hard to imagine that Rhino will struggle to shift 25,000 copies. And if they are willing to risk a Fall '91 release, one of the MSG shows (8 still unreleased) seems a safer sales bet than Boston.

But there's still no Dave's from 1989, nor '88. Either would likely sell better than a '91. And I note that the last '76 released (notwithstanding the 2020 box set) was Vol. 28.

Oh well, I'm always wrong when I play the "guess what Dave will release" game. Since I didn't mention it, it will probably be '73.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by Obeah

Not sure about a China Doll - maybe you're thinking of Brokedown Palace at Telluride 8/16/87? Double encore - as they start Brokedown out of Touch It slowly grinds to a halt and Jerry exclaims something to the effect of - "Wait a minute! This is all fucked up! We're in then wrong key! You folks are used to this - oxygen deprivation. Forget that all happened!" And they start Brokedown fresh.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Obeah,

The one thing we know for sure is Dave can be unpredictable at times. Never thought he would release another 71 show for #48 and release this Scranton show two releases later. Who knows, maybe he will release another 71 show for #52.

Would love to see an 88 or 91. It is time.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html