• 613 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    Christopher Hazard dropped a Tinley Park 4k vid...

....you all should probably check it out, since we're all about videos.

• icecrmcnkd

We need more JGB video released.

I have and like the JGB Shoreline DVD.

• billy the kiddd
    Anniversary show 9/1/90. Garcia /Los Lobos

34 years ago I was out at Shoreline to see Garcia & Los Lobos put on a great show. The Garcia portion of the show has been released on dvd , and well worth picking up if you can still get it.

• proudfoot

I was thinking about MUATM as well just now

"Me, I'm waiting so patiently, lying on the floor"

Any time will do, PTB. Please

and YES on a 91 release. Please

• DeadVikes

Looking forward to hopefully receiving the new box at the end of the month.

So what will Dave do for #52? You never know with Dave. Some of the picks have been head scratchers, to say the least.

I would love to see Dave break into 91. So many good shows in 91. I was listening to 5/11/91 last night and was thinking man, it would be fun to finally have a 91 show released as a Dave's Picks. Will it ever happen. Who knows.

If not 91, how about a show from 82 or 88. Many good shows to pick from and recorded well.

Oh and will they announce the 2024 MUATM?

Hope you all have a good rest of the Labor Day Weekend.

• proudfoot

A long time ago in a special state of mind I listened to that on Live Dead

It made an impression, believe me

I saw the headline of the two hockey players and figured it would get mentioned here

We all hang by threads

Drunk drivers do so much preventable damage

Luckily for me alcohol and I have never gotten along very well

Safe travels for all

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

The final one on the Spring90 tour is special; Jerry and Brent trading verses and he (Brent) is about to check out himself.. heavy stuff..

• daverock

Read as a double negative - which I have never done before - it reads more like it's death that has mercy, not life. My favourite version is the one on Live Dead, hands down. Very different from the version I have heard by Gary Davis, which is also stunning.

Bluecrow - yes that's good. It always makes me wonder a bit when someone seems to be 100% sure what happens after we die. In fact, it makes me wonder a bit whenever someone is 100% sure about anything ! They often seem to be trying to convince themselves as much as anyone else.

I'm not having a pop at Steve Silberman, by the way. I have one of his books upstairs somewhere - where I know not. It's not called "Skeleton Keys", though.

• billy the kiddd

The version on Live Dead is pretty hard to top, 4/6/69 Avalon Ballroom has a killer version.

• JimInMD

Death Don't Have No Mercy. A double negative I guess it means life has mercy.

Either way, getting plowed by a car while riding a bike is not something you plan for.. you ride your bike (well, hopefully for fun but also) to stay healthy, feel good, and hopefully live a long, fruitful life.

Life is more about expectations than good v. bad. Example.. you get your end of year bonus check and it's a monster, but half as much as you thought it would be. You walk away disappointed. Or at your trial date, you get a six-month jail sentence but expected six years, you are elated, happy days. The first good news yet you are sad. The second terrible news and you want to party like it's 1999.

When I get on my bike I never expect to get plowed.. I can only imagine what their families are going through.

While we are on the topic.. favorite Death Don't Have No Mercy? I need to think about this one.

One of those songs, so haunting and beautiful. I like the 60's versions but was so happy to see it brought back ever so briefly. I got to see it performed once. A lifetime high for me. Was expecting a high time, got a dealth don't have no mercy, expectation exceeded.. happy day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Indeed it is. Next up: "Man Smart, Woman Smarter."

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by LedDed

But I feel I must comment on Joe Biden's decision to step down. A selfless and dignified act, unusual in a world where self promotion is paramount, and multifarious crimes are routinely committed and accepted as normal political activity.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

It's a really hard thing to do: to admit you're too old, to step aside, and relinquish power. And it doesn't always end well.

I don't want to get into politics, but I will say I think Biden deserves praise for putting his ego aside and doing the right thing.

Other than that, I'll just say that I hope that everyone who is eligible to vote will take that responsibility seriously. Get informed, think deeply, and vote with your best self., please.

Vacationing in Colorado right now, seeing the sights and having some fun leading up to TTB at Red Rocks this weekend. Listening to GOGD channel on Sirius. For now, at least, life is really good.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

You might see Hendrixfreak there.
Enjoy Colorado.
Cheers

Three days of great music

Smoky skies from forest fires and hot AF during the day

But

If you have a chance to hear a band called the Record Company, give 'em a chance. Rockin'.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Was it yer biff day?
Happy happy joy joy!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

GD covered a lot of R&B and blues classics

At the festival the PA music played between acts featured a lot of R&B and blues classics

I kept thinking "GD covered this one ...and this one...
and this one..."

GBtGD

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

Daverock Scranton Joe has always given the best of himself for the country he has served virtually his entire adult life. The act of a real man is to put all before himself. Joe Biden is a real man! God Bless America!

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

RIP Jerry Miller of Moby Grape

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by jjc

JJC - I would agree there. But surely selflessness is a quality that transcends national boundaries. As Tiny Tim says in Dickens "A Christmas Carol" - "God bless us everyone!"

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I wish we could enjoy the Grateful Dead without politics. But here we go!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

One is not dragged kicking and screaming to a selfless act

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 10 months

Tired of watching liberal clowns trash our country which I love. Sick people. Switched to Trump because we can do so much better. Start paying attention. Economy sucks, crime sucks, illegals suck. The Dead's music makes me forget it all.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by snafu

Retirement can be the end result of a process. It's not a snap decision made impulsively if you are in a position where choice is a factor. Must be very difficult if you are in the public eye, when the sequence of events leading to it is visible and open to public scrutiny. This has absolutely nothing to do with politics. All of us experience the ageing process and deal with it in our own way. Normally with some degree of privacy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeeDeeMcTrivers

The economy is doing great, look at the stock market.
The rich white people who control the GOP are getting richer by the day.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by snafu

Just waiting on a friend. Nothing here yet.

I wonder if Dave pays any attention to sales. He still says these all sell out fast, some in a couple of hours, some in days, some in weeks. He needs to update his stich, it is now years.

Edit- The double 85 dose is now sold out!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

to be quiet and thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...see y'all next year, maybe

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Will it be this week or next ? What's it gonna be? I hope its Winter land Oct. 1974 audio & video. That would be something!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Billy, bring it! Now that one would sell out faster than GSTL in 2017.

Been hoping for this one for a long time.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....oh. I'm paying attention alright.
Anywho, I proposed to my subwoofer tonight. Don't tell Mrs. Vguy.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

MUATM....2024 box...

I think we'll hear something on MUATM middle of Aug. after D&C at the Sphere. Meet Up will be at end of Aug. When pre-order for the box will be announced... Shipping date first week of Dec...

In the groove let the good times roll...Clock on the wall says its time to go...

user picture

Member for

11 months

...take all the whining to:
X, facebook, truthsocial, wherever
but not here,
no one here wants to hear
this sucks, that sucks, everything sucks

and apparently the music is not helping

Peace for All
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by nappyrags

To realise you are an idiot and try to do something about it.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

the election, and here's another one. The traitor is now "the old guy". The old guy needs to be defeated. So now he's the old guy and a traitor. Vote like ur life depends on it, cause if "the old guy/traitor" gets his way, we are all "f"ed

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Coast to Coast ?

What if Dave has dove deep into the banana boxes, and pulled all the missing reels from Avalon to The Ark April '69 ? WoW, that would be nice!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I made it to 7-21,22-90 but missed 7-23-90……

Those 3 nights, complete audio/video, would make a nice release.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Some years back I had an idea of Dueling Fillmore East meets West 1970 box...Got a lot of buzz!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Dave "I'll see you here soon? We've got another announcement probably in the next?, oh little while?"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

The only time I will post political stuff.....I always thought GOGD fans were open minded and open to both sides with discussion. I am wrong again. It appears from the comments lately that the Dems/Progs could have Alfred E. Newman as their candidate, and all the Heads will just follow in line, like lemmings. Who cares about what some Hollywood millionaire thinks, as if they know anything besides group think. Please try researching/reading to have an open mind. Joe B. did nothing, and all of his lemmings hid his deteriorating condition for years. I'm still not sure who I will vote for, if I vote at all. We definitely don't need another giveaway person as President. Look at the inflation numbers, sky high food prices, and unaffordable housing for the majority of citizens, and actually make an intelligent decision

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Guys. This is where I weigh in and say enough with the politics please. Thank you. Within the bounds of civility and respect, please feel free to take it to the long-dormant Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind, Still More Current Events: dead.net slash forum slash trouble-ahead-trouble-behind-still-more-current-events

been waitin on the bus all day.

And, I love a lot of buzz!

Waitin on that right now.

Back when they were GD, I always wanted to see a lightning bolt tour starting at Alpine and finishing in New Orleans.

But I will settle for a fillmore east/west box!!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

or whatever that rumored box was.

The next box will be revealed during the days between.

I hope it's a box I can live without so I can save money and storage space.

"Jesus just left Chicago
and he's bound for New Orleans
you don't have to worry
'cause taking care of business is his name"

Ah, take me with you, Jesus!

I would probably not buy it

But you know I would anyway

Oh. If it's well north of $200, prolly no deal.

Speculation only

Time will tell, as always

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Ventura various years but 84 definitely or a Shoreline 91with that last 1st set Dark Star

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

I saw him play once at the S.F. Blues Festival, he put on a good show.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Ever since Spring '90 TOO, I don't look a gift horse in the nub!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html