• 644 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....I knew I was blessed then.
    Good shit Brent.
    Jerry just keeping the train chuggin'"
    BTW, we took the Verde Canyon Train Trip in AZ during our stay there.
    They piped in train songs the whole time. Big RxR Blues leaving and returning from the station.
    Freight Train from Not For Kids Only also.....I pointed it out to my wife.
    She just shook her head and smiled.

• Vguy72

....🥰

• Vguy72

....just got back from five glorious days in Sedona with my wife celebrating our 25th anniversary.
    Need. More. Vacations. And a hot tub.
    And more Taylor Swift if you know what I mean. Childless Cat Lady ftw.

• dmcvt

Thanks DaveRock, was about to note Carter and Williams essential contributions to the Second Quintet. Williams was 17 years old when he joined Miles group. What an incredible crucible those five created. Heading off to northern Vermont tonight, concert with Tom Gershwin Quintet. Heard of this performance from a chance conversation with Grant Gordy after his gig with Mr. Sun Tuesday in Massachusetts. Never seen Grant on electric guitar.

• daverock

What makes that band interesting to me is the rhythm section - Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. My favourite records by them are ESP and Milestones. A great live one is the First Bootleg - 4cds from 1967. I prefer this to the Plugged Nickel set, which seems a bit cautious by comparison.

• Dennis

Well the song will probably not be rattlin' around, but Nancy in them!

Hope I didn't type here, but listening to Dylan Theme radio, girls names. For Nancy, a song sinatra sung.

Nancy with the laughing face. Written about Nancy when she was born. Written by.... Phil Silvers!

• That Mike

Dennis - I’ll bet you will have that damn Nancy Sinatra song roiling around your head the rest of the day now! 🎶🎶 Damn boots!!!
    You’re welcome! ;)
    Crow - I agree on the Second Quintet vs the Trane Quintet - the Second was far more dynamic, a much more interesting band. All of them went on to have pretty amazing careers on their own, as well.

• Crow Told Me

Amazing what they're finding in those old archives these days.

A recent review of Nixon's office tapes (you know, the ones that caught him planning Watergate and discussing the illegal bombing Cambodia and whatnot) turned up a reference to pot. Which Tricky Dicky said was "not particularly dangerous." He even seems to consider legalization, but concludes that "it would be the wrong message at this time."

Well, blow me down. Sure wish he would've said so back then, instead of, you know, launching the War on Drugs and sending so many kind and decent people to prison.

And almost equally mind boggling it is to learn of the existence of this new Miles set. Which should be amazing.

That 'Second Great Quintet' with Herbie and Wayne is in some ways the most interesting of all his bands. The "other" quintet with Coltrane is maybe a better place to start, if anybody reading this is new to jazz and just starting to check out Miles. The Miles/Trane group more or less defined mainstream straight ahead jazz and if you're at all open to jazz you're going to love the Cookin/Workin/Steamin/Relaxin records they did.

But the 'second' quintet? Damn. If the Miles/Trane group built the house, the Wayne/Herbie band blew the fucking roof off. This new set of recordings from what I think must've been their first tour together should be amazing. Probably a little more "inside" than the far out stuff you hear on the Plugged Nickel live set, which might be a good thing. It's a must have, for me anyway.

So, thanks for the heads up on that one! Can't wait.

Meanwhile, UPS says that my copy of Jack White's new lp is out for delivery. Can't wait to slap that thing on and crank it up.

• Dennis

It made me smile.

These Boots Were Made For Listening. (as per python,,,, witty, witty)

• Dennis

There's a performance with about a dozen guys paying a tribute to George Harrison. They're playing while my guitar gently weeps. Everyone passes around the lead, gets to prince and he takes off. Several times it looked like petty was ready to drop out jamming and get back to song, but prince kept on. Tom was looking a little peeved.

Maybe it was just me. But prince really stole that track!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Sky Pilot!

Was that the rabbit hole.

Been a huge fan of his for 45 years.

SMB played a 75 person capacity hole in the wall about 33 years ago. He was great to hang out with. Only about 50 people there. It was a wayword stop between two larger cities.

Have also seen the Dixie Dregs and the Dregs.

Just got in a copy of a live DVD, that is for tomorrow night.

Putting 51 in now!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Looked at an image of the cyc via gps

It's now the Lackawanna College Student Union Building

Lackawanna...lol

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....the Vegas Widespead Panic shows are canceled. Get better Jimmy.
Spafford announced a show here November 3rd. A week before King Gizzard is playing. Nice!
But hot damn if Phish's Summer Tour isn't off to a roaring start. Firing on all cylinders. Vroom vroom!
Got a pair of Sennheiser headphones during that Prime Day sale along with that Klipsch sub.
Wife was all in on that purchase lol.
Checking out last nights Alpine Valley show on them. 🍻
Edit. Tonight's Alpine show just hit LivePhish. They upload the shows within an hour of them ending. Amazing. I love being spoiled by both bands. I deserve it dammit!

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....thats the hose. Right. There.
Jon Fishman is incredible.
Into Brian And Robert. Time for Page to shine. Very nice.
Apologies. I don't have Scranton yet.
Edit. Llama. Page aint done yet. Taboot taboot.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Any Elvis-fan ? I think there was gentleman who had seen "the King" (in 1975 ?) in here a while back, but a few weeks from now - Sony will release "Elvis - Memphis". Recordings (1954-76) from the very first Sun to the last at Graceland. Also his hometown show at the "Mid-South" in 1974.. BW from Copenhagen wishing you all a peaceful sunday..

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by Danehead

.... but I ordered the Elvis box.

Needed this like a need another hole in my head.

Hey, it's the King, and I didn't even know Clark Gable recorded!

Hard to find people who know or remember Clark was the first "KING". :-)

Not a songwriter obv

But a fantastic performer

Two songs he performs that always make me verklempt

Are you lonesome tonight
I can't help falling in love with you

When my daughter was dealing with her first breakup I played heartbreak hotel for her

Also in Las Vegas there is an Elvis tribute performer called Big Elvis

When we watched him in April he did great and I sang along

I cant buy the new Elvis release though

Elvis is everywhere
Elvis is everything
Elvis is everybody
Elvis is still the king

user picture

Member for

10 years

Elvis classic with the Muscle Shoals sound and Donna very noticeable in that background group of singers.
Love it, that one and In The Ghetto
Cheers
Oh, and A Little Less Conversation is a killer too. He always had top tier backup bands. James Burton!

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

A little factoid I learn recently (?).

Heartbreak Hotel was written by Mae Axton, her son Hoyt wrote Jeremiah was a Bullfrog.

Only mother and son to both have number 1 records!

I love odd connections.

user picture

Member for

10 years

One of the most distinctive voices ever!
Not so much country, more like Americana?
Great trivia there Dennis.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I've always liked his covering of .... Don't Give a Damn About a Greenback Dollar, Spend it Fast I Can....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Dennis.. Kings - well, there was the "King of Swing" - good, old Benny Goodman and - another - jazz-great; "King" Oliver -way back.. Proudfoot.. Elvis WAS a songwriter - the "Love me tender" - EP, all songs on that were written by him.. Rocks first songwriter.. (well - second to mr. Berry..)

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Danehead

I did not know that.
Really, I thought he just waited for the songwriters to create for him every time.

I am not obsessed with every detail of his career.

Now the GD...far beyond obsessed, I am.

Thumbs up from me too. His recordings still sound incredible. The ones on SUN Records have always been my favourites - everything about them, not least the ground breaking guitar playing of Scotty Moore. But his recordings on RCA are also great. It's often thought that his career went down the pan a bit in the 60's, but even amidst the dross of the films, he still cut some amazing tracks. If I was to pick a lesser known one, I'd go for "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" from 1966 - one of the best covers of a Dylan song I have ever heard.

And yes, James Burton is also one of my favourite guitarists.

I didn't know that he wrote and recorded some of his own songs either.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

....hard pass. Although my mom saw him twice at the Hilton Hotel.
I remember walking in the door when I was 9 and seeing my mom crying. The newspaper was on the kitchen table.
"Elvis dead". I just shrugged.
Flash forward three years, and I was my mom when Lennon died.
Sorry I shrugged mom.

user picture

Member for

12 years

The music industry during Elvis’s era often involved songwriters surrendering 50% of the credit to the artist or their record label in exchange for the opportunity to record their song. This practice, combined with Elvis’s immense popularity and negotiating power, likely contributed to his name being credited as a co-writer on many songs.

He did not write songs in the classical sense.

Flame away.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Yeah, and I knew it too. Better save up a whole lotta "Money, Money," {1974} MonaaaaaY! This from back when Uncle Neil decided to postpone his 3rd Big Box Archives release from early summer to this fall. It's a doozy, even for the simplified cd only version at just $240. That was the same price as the Deluxe Archives 2! Anyways, I don't wanna get lost in the Neil Young tumbleweeds on a Dead forum, so,..... I am going to bet that this week up coming, no later than next, Cousin Dave will announce the 2024 Dead Big Box! Probably {crossed fingers} the 1974 Winterland shows everyone's been buzzing about. Coincidentally the 50th anniversary of the concert run. Anticipation awaits!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I can NOT get to December 25th with Christmas in my heart without hearing Elvis sing "It Won't Seem Like Christmas", "I'll Be Home on Christmas Day", and "If I Get Home on Christmas Day".

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

To anyone who decides to go down the Steve Morse rabbit hole. Make sure you check out the amazing band Flying Colors. Also, don't miss the 2 Kansas albums he played on. Especially, In The Spirit Of Things.

Waiting on my copy of 51 to hit the mail box in a few hours. Glad I'm on vacation this week, so I can dig right into it.

Peace

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

China Cat Sunflower ->I Know You Rider, Weather Report Suite Prelude ->Weather Report Suite Part ->Let It Grow

Set 2
Playing In The Band ->Uncle John's Band ->Morning Dew ->Uncle John's Band ->Playing In The Band

The audio on this is incredible !
The new Subwoofer sounds great. Thanks Vguy72

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Elvis's Christmas Album (which, to avoid confusion, is helpfully titled Elvis's Christmas Album) is great. I absolutely love his versions of Here Comes Santa Claus and Silent Night. If ever anybody wanted an example of how this guy could take any song, any song in the freaking universe, and make it his own, well, there you have it.

It's almost as good as James Brown's Funky Christmas. Which is probably the all time heavy weight champ of Christmas albums. Too bad the Dead never did one.

But I digress.

I think Elvis was one of the greatest talents we've ever seen. He didn't "invent" rock and roll but it was his good looks and outrageous performances that brought it to the masses. His story is kind of tragic, because he naively trusted his manager, who stole from him and steered him into making cheesy movies rather than focusing on music. But the early recordings show how great he could be. And depending on your tolerance for schmaltz, some of the later ones are pretty good, too.

Back now from Colorado. TTB was the bomb at Red Rocks, as usual. #51's on its way, should arrive tomorrow if past experience is any guide. Been playing Ladies and Gentlemen while I wait. Life is good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

But the tracking tells me the UPS handoff to USPS didn't make it for delivery today. Walked outside to see Mister Postman -- alas, the little white box was nowhere to be found. Still says delivery by 7pm tonight. I guess that means I will get the box tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

Actually, just did two big nights with the TTB at Red Rocks and they put on a couple of the best musical performances I've ever witnessed, though it is impossible to rank the many TTB shows I've attended.

So Margo Price opens (great Nashvillian who wore a big dress decorated with Amanita muscaria art) and sings a previously unknown (to me) Waylon Jennings song:

"Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye"

That is all!

P.S. Once the new DP hits my doorstep, I am ready for the box news........

Before we leave the Elvis at Christmas theme, and more people get Daves 51 delivered, I must mention the "68 Comeback Special" aired on American T.V. on 12/3/ 68. Possibly the best film of Elvis in action.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

As Proudfoot mentioned (or, is it as in Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring: ProudFEET!?)... The Phil on this release is a real ear-catcher.
He is so clear and up front, its a true showcase for Great Bass, Lesh Philling.

There's also a 'Darkness' jam/tease in that Good Lovin around the 14th minute marker which also caught my attention.
Jerry's wah on Sugar Magnolia is also cool to hear he shoulda done that more.

Happy Listening, People
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

#1421 very promptly I must say, delivered on the day it said it would. Soon we will get another announcement say two weeks from now?

51 Dave's Picks is officially over the hill !

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

#1935 was dropped off before noon, always a good sign. Enjoyed the liner notes, but haven't had a chance to listen. Tonight...

user picture

Member for

10 years

this time. Was supposed to be today but while UPS tracking still says it is in Denver somewhere between them and the USPS, the USPS tracker finally kicked in minutes ago and said it made it to my local P.O. and will be here tomorrow.
Nice present to honor my 67th trip around the sun. Thanks Dave et al.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

This thing is electric!!!

Fantastic pick!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Also, this release is tasty

I had my doubts when I heard the announced show, but erase erase, it's fine

And I still get to hear the bonus material

:)))

Tracking said today, but it didn’t arrive, now revised to tomorrow.
It ‘departed for USPS’ over 55 hours ago, but it’s only about a 2-hour drive according to the googlebot, so hope it’s not sitting in a hot trailer.

But, all is made good by the disclaimer in the UPS tracking app:
“Mail innovations is not a day definite service.”

Glad to hear that it sounds good.
Looking forward to my first listen.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Mine didn't make it today, but is on schedule to arrive tomorrow for my 58th trip around the sun.

Happy Birthday !st Show! We can celebrate together tomorrow.

Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

...has arrived just a bit outside PdXs Scarlett Oregonias!

user picture

Member for

10 years

Here on the anniversary of your joining up here at the Dead thread.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

....for everyone! Happy birthdays my doods.
Trust Dave. He knows what he's doing.
I pray Mr. Ones is OK.
Because music is the best.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by RyXs

PNW 73-74 BS............nice!

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

My copy is apparently due to be delivered today. I've also been told that the ‘Takes’ compilation and pin from my Neil Young Archives order have been dispatched, at least a label has been created. I must catch up with listening to all the recently delivered music.

UPDATE
#6189 has arrived on Merseyside. Remarkably fast delivery. Well done.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

No. 12720 has arrived in Scotland! It's also a warm and sunny day here so that's two reasons to be grateful. Let the tunes wash over you and sooth your soul. Peace.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html