• 644 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....I knew I was blessed then.
    Good shit Brent.
    Jerry just keeping the train chuggin'"
    BTW, we took the Verde Canyon Train Trip in AZ during our stay there.
    They piped in train songs the whole time. Big RxR Blues leaving and returning from the station.
    Freight Train from Not For Kids Only also.....I pointed it out to my wife.
    She just shook her head and smiled.

• Vguy72

....🥰

• Vguy72

....just got back from five glorious days in Sedona with my wife celebrating our 25th anniversary.
    Need. More. Vacations. And a hot tub.
    And more Taylor Swift if you know what I mean. Childless Cat Lady ftw.

• dmcvt

Thanks DaveRock, was about to note Carter and Williams essential contributions to the Second Quintet. Williams was 17 years old when he joined Miles group. What an incredible crucible those five created. Heading off to northern Vermont tonight, concert with Tom Gershwin Quintet. Heard of this performance from a chance conversation with Grant Gordy after his gig with Mr. Sun Tuesday in Massachusetts. Never seen Grant on electric guitar.

• daverock

What makes that band interesting to me is the rhythm section - Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. My favourite records by them are ESP and Milestones. A great live one is the First Bootleg - 4cds from 1967. I prefer this to the Plugged Nickel set, which seems a bit cautious by comparison.

• Dennis

Well the song will probably not be rattlin' around, but Nancy in them!

Hope I didn't type here, but listening to Dylan Theme radio, girls names. For Nancy, a song sinatra sung.

Nancy with the laughing face. Written about Nancy when she was born. Written by.... Phil Silvers!

• That Mike

Dennis - I’ll bet you will have that damn Nancy Sinatra song roiling around your head the rest of the day now! 🎶🎶 Damn boots!!!
    You’re welcome! ;)
    Crow - I agree on the Second Quintet vs the Trane Quintet - the Second was far more dynamic, a much more interesting band. All of them went on to have pretty amazing careers on their own, as well.

• Crow Told Me

Amazing what they're finding in those old archives these days.

A recent review of Nixon's office tapes (you know, the ones that caught him planning Watergate and discussing the illegal bombing Cambodia and whatnot) turned up a reference to pot. Which Tricky Dicky said was "not particularly dangerous." He even seems to consider legalization, but concludes that "it would be the wrong message at this time."

Well, blow me down. Sure wish he would've said so back then, instead of, you know, launching the War on Drugs and sending so many kind and decent people to prison.

And almost equally mind boggling it is to learn of the existence of this new Miles set. Which should be amazing.

That 'Second Great Quintet' with Herbie and Wayne is in some ways the most interesting of all his bands. The "other" quintet with Coltrane is maybe a better place to start, if anybody reading this is new to jazz and just starting to check out Miles. The Miles/Trane group more or less defined mainstream straight ahead jazz and if you're at all open to jazz you're going to love the Cookin/Workin/Steamin/Relaxin records they did.

But the 'second' quintet? Damn. If the Miles/Trane group built the house, the Wayne/Herbie band blew the fucking roof off. This new set of recordings from what I think must've been their first tour together should be amazing. Probably a little more "inside" than the far out stuff you hear on the Plugged Nickel live set, which might be a good thing. It's a must have, for me anyway.

So, thanks for the heads up on that one! Can't wait.

Meanwhile, UPS says that my copy of Jack White's new lp is out for delivery. Can't wait to slap that thing on and crank it up.

• Dennis

It made me smile.

These Boots Were Made For Listening. (as per python,,,, witty, witty)

• Dennis

There's a performance with about a dozen guys paying a tribute to George Harrison. They're playing while my guitar gently weeps. Everyone passes around the lead, gets to prince and he takes off. Several times it looked like petty was ready to drop out jamming and get back to song, but prince kept on. Tom was looking a little peeved.

Maybe it was just me. But prince really stole that track!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Looks like Monday. Though I will have the overpriced shot glass today!

Should have gotten the axe!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by ronmarley1

Dave's 51 playing on SiriusXM.

51 is not sold out yet, why play it before we have it?

I guess the moment the first person gets there's its time for radio.

Gotta say, BBM sounds really good.

Bet those Catholic School Girls fell for Pig...

51 supposed to be here by Monday but looks like I might get it tomorrow...at least that is better.

Gonna turn off siriusxm.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Just saw the Bulletin.. not a word about a box..

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Dennis - Not sure if you are a fan, but Neil Young just announced a new edition in his Archive series, a limited edition set (limit 5000), but at $450+ it is far too rich for me. I’ll be waiting for the slimmed down (see: cheaper, MUCH cheaper) non-limited version, depending on price, especially if it is sold on Bezos, with free & fast delivery.
- Neil Young Archives Vol. III (1976-1987)(17 CD & 5 Blu-Ray) [Deluxe Edition]

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by ronmarley1

I am probably just over saturated with GD at the moment

But I'll keep trying

And my newest reliable theory is that the box will be announced toward Christmas time

If Dave said a little while on the chat (I usually don't listen to the chats), he means months

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

@Dave
John Mayall was in my ten first LP, the "turning point" a favorite album, trying blues with no drums and once more a new good band (john almond & jon Mak); I remmber listening the Bear from Laurel canyon album on the juke box in college. He made some great albums with P green, Mick Taylor, Harvey Mandel, he turns many young guys to the blues, as did the R Stones or Scorcese. Now is the time to listen "a hard day".
@ Cactus
How may you say , this"a medicre serie"? take off the thorn in your ... and readjust your position.
You should have missed a bunch of them. and remastering 2 tracks recording is just a non sense.
Listen to LA 73, Atlanta 80, Fresno 74, Miami 74, Nassau 73, bekerley72 and so on...
I will miss this one, Spring 71; Is this a multitracks recording as they prepare the skull & roses album?
71 is such a great year, new tunes from Garcia, magic Gd quartet in the houseboat tapes, new tunes again to end the year at the felt forum, T jed ramble on rose, Mr Charlie.. best wishes to the lucky subscribers

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

Visiting a friends place on eastern shore Maryland, 51 was in the mailbox this morning, Disc one on the victrola now. Surprisingly early delivery, we did not expect. Audio good, bit raw/rough, esp. onset Casey Jones as dialed in, gremlins and warts. Usual tune as you go take offs. Phil low at first, vocals prominent, hot to somewhat distorted in chorus. Bar Band at the CYC, how did they pull that off. Billy is notably "on".

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Archives vol. 3 can be preordered. 5000 units. This one is a boxzilla!

user picture

Member for

11 months 1 week

...is here, fantastic timing...will be ready to go on our 5 hour ride to Lake Placid later this weekend, THNX Folks!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I'm a DaP subscriber but no shipping notice yet . . . .

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Another box set for consideration is ‘The BBC Collection’ by Rory Gallagher. 17 cd and 2 BluRay, due out in October.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

The first Rory Gallagher album I bought was the outstanding 2-disc BBC Sessions—released in 1999; I think I bought mine in 2003 or 2004. What a superb introduction to one of the all-time all-around greats. 17 discs on this upcoming release! Sounds like a motherlode.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Great guitar player!
Had the chance to see him live in 1973 and 1975 at the Jahrhunderthalle, Frankfurt.
One more show in 1976, Offenbach, Stadthalle.
Gone to early!!!
Cheers G.

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Against my better judgement I’ve just ordered the limited edition version of Archives Vol III. The price is ridiculous but at least I’ll have all three in the same sized box!

My copy of #51 continues to languish in a bag/container in CA where it has been since the morning of the 23rd. There can’t be much traffic into the UK.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Love this so far. Trying to imagine them playing in this room - just seems like an ordinary city building from the photo. A youth center - it's like seeing them at the YMCA.

They sound so primal - hard to believe in just 12 months they'd be hitting such a polished career peak in Europe.

Thanks Dave and team

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Should have it by next Friday.

Just started spinning 7-26-87 DVD.
A toast to Brent.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Mine made it to Smyrna, TN this morning. Scheduled for Monday. Maybe, it will make it tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by TN John

written about several times.

the shakedown and leading into drums.

Wow!

Shakedown shows just how easily they shifted into serious improv. They drop in for about 6 minutes and then release. LLR and terrapin also shows this trait that they had hardly ever matched. Edit: OOOps - they reached many times but rarely where you can watch up close,

TN John - hope you get it tomorrow!!! Let us know!

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I sent you a PM.

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

In reply to by simonrob

Thanks Simon I’ve replied in a PM.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

I just wondered if it's in the box as well ? BBM with Brent

You just won't let Jerry stop...

user picture

Member for

10 years

Colin - thanks for the tip about that Rory Gallagher box - looks amazing. He was the first real blues guitarist I ever saw live, back in the early 70's - blew me away.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

shows delivery today.

Whoohoo.

Can it be 2 days b4 the scheduled time?

It is 1 mile away. Ah, the last mile can be the toughest.

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

DHL tell me my copy has arrived in customs at Heathrow. So I hope to see it in the next week.
As an aside I’ve just happened upon a fantastic documentary about Guy Clark ‘ Without Getting Killed or Caught’ available on Amazon Prime in the UK at least. Takes me back to buying ‘Old No 1’ a long time ago. A great songwriter.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I can't remember how many many times I saw Rory Gallagher live, firstly with Taste then as a solo artist, but always in a trio. The main reason I saw him so often was that he seemed to play almost every festival in the late 60s and early 70s and I was an avid festival goer. He always played with maximum intensity and always got the audience going. I came to believe that he only possessed one shirt.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Mine has apparently left Fontana and is scheduled to arrive to the Wolfman on Monday. Sigh. Whatever shall I do until then. Hmmm...DP03 spinning now. Maybe I'll get through a few until 51 arrives.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Pulling for you and Simon to have yours before August 1 release date.

I am sure you have also seen Heartworn Highways as Guy Clark is in there. If memory serves, I think he is more than likely the one working on an old guitar. He was quite the luthier.

What GD needs to do is place your individual releases as in non-descrip packaging with a price under $25 to possibly avoid the whole customs thing. I used to know more, but I think there is a waiver for small value education materials. Materials could be used on a musical thesis about GD. Sorry still a little groggy, sort of serious sort of goofin. But I do believe GD should look at all avenues which will help you get stuff faster.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....double post.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....Anaheim. My second show. And don't call me Shirley.
We were probably 60 feet from the stage. Phil Zone. Hopefully they re-release View From The Vault in 4K so i can finally find myself.
51 arriving Monday. I usually hate Mondays, so that's a nice antacid.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

OK, so I was listening to Around and Around from the 5/12/74 "Mars Hotel" release. It's just another quick Chuck Berry tune - usually there's not much to it, right?

Wrong. The band wraps up the song for the final closing lick and Jerry is having NONE of it. The band sticks the landing to end the song, but Jerry JUST KEEPS ROCKING, pulling them forward like a stubborn Great Dane on a leash. So the band tries again to end the song again. but Jerry again blows past them like an express train.

These moments are the glue that keep me coming back... when you can practically see the band's smiles and feel the audiences adrenaline as they're riding the crest of the wave for moments on end. The creamy filling

I love this band, and the whole scene around it. Thanks y'all for being a part of it.

....indeed. Santana coined the term "giving the crowd the hose" when he toured with Phish in the early '90's. Just showering the audience with bliss. Applicable to the Dead and many other bands as well.
The good stuff. The moments that gives one goosebumps. Insert the scene of Andy getting out of the prison in Shawshank Redemption here.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

After listening to Dave's pics 51 last night, I also listened to some of the Fall 71 shows for a bit. I can totally see why they have focused on the late 1971 for the official releases. The band is much more dialed in, energized by the addition of Keith, and the recordings are much cleaner. DaP51 has a lot of spots where there's too much to gain/distortion in the mix, unfortunately.

Early '71 has great energy and some great moments, but late 1971 blows away Spring '71 in my opinion. If I could go back in time and watch one 1971 show, it would be late '71 for sure.

That's my favourite part of 1971, by some distance as well. With Keith on board they have all the energy of a newly formed band. More so than the addition of just one new member would suggest. I am quite happy with the "Ladies and Gentlemen" comp from late April 1971, and the two Portchester shows I have - 2/18 and 2/19, but I'm not sure I really want any more.

My favourite music from 1971 is that featured on Dicks Picks 2 - 10/31/71. Only a portion of the show released, and Keith so low in the mix he can hardly be heard - it's still amazing cd - and now record. One of the top10 releases in my eyes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hey rockers!!

Just got outta the morgue, people been dying to see me!! I know, lame forensic pathology joke.......

There are actually 4 1971 Grateful Deads:
Pre-Port Chester
Port Chester through August
October-November Keith no Pig
December Pig & Keith
Early and late 71 both have merits. Early more raucous, late smoother. Choose your poison....

There IS one November 1970 soundboard. The Fillmore East show on 11/16. Uneven but with some real high points, especially Weir's dreamy playing on the hard rocking Hard To Handle.

Also, two "close to November" shows----SUNY on 10/30 and 31. Not as crazy as the Port Chester shows that followed, but worth a listen........

Who hears music feels his solitude peopled at once......

Keep it rockin'!!!

Doc
I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it......
P.S. No 51 until next Tuesday, arrgh.................

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by simonrob

That's great to hear. Lucky you! I discovered Rory only after his passing, sadly; mostly too young to have seen him here in California. Were most of your festivals in UK or USA? Peace!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Birchwood

Any way you hear it, 71 rocks

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

All the festivals that I saw Rory Gallagher play at were in the UK. I think the only other band I saw as often at festivals was the excellent Family. One of the best aspects of summers in the early 70s in England was the number of festivals that were organised. Such great times.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Crazy, great opening ceremonies, very different which was the appeal. Missed the metal Vguy but the gal who sung Imagine was very good. A little discordant I thought to have her floating along with the flaming piano but a helluva stunt nonetheless.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....the one thing that unites this country. And we definitely need more of that. I'm all in.
YouTube it 1st Show.
No offense to the heads over the pond btw lol.
Russia and Belarus are banned from the games. I agree with that decision.
Athletes from those countries need to register as individual neutral athletes if they want to compete. Or AIN. Which doesn't make sense. Should be INA's?

user picture

Member for

10 years

Went to the ytube to see the Gojira Olympic performance, which was way cool btw Vguy, especially liked the disembodied Marie head singing away which the wife had mentioned yesterday while it was on, and as frequently happens got stuck going around on the musical carousel with a Steve Morse rabbit hole. I may be busy for a while. What a resume that hall of fame guitarist has!
Future opening ceremonies will be hard pressed to top yesterday's.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

2/14/68, 2/27 & 28/69 , 3/1 & /2;/69, 5/2 & 15/70 , 4/28/71, 8/13/75, and on & on.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

“If this band could somehow overcome the technical problems that seem to plague them and figure out a way to keep ticket prices low, they may hit it big someday.”

Bill Gottlieb

I love this choice. Thank you Dave. Like most recent releases, the sound quality is impeccable. You get a genuine sense the band is playing a small venue. Good Lovin and Hard to Handle - yup. Garcia’s tone on The Other One from Pitt is sublime.

I acknowledge that I am late to comment on the sphere, but it was astonishing. First night in front of the band, second night up top. Both fantastic for different reasons. I will say though, that I prefer getting to “that place” with the music alone, without the need for graphics. Even as cool as they were.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by billy the kiddd

and I got on.

Received 2 full days before initial tracking showed delivery.

Was supposed to be Monday by 7pm.

Thanks so much Dave, and full crew!!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html